My Morning Ritual
Today’s blog is about the one person, the one most important person in your life, that is yourself. With the beginning of 2020 I formed a morning ritual which helps me to focus my energy and connect with myself. I’ve learned and adopted strategies from Kathi Hönig and other inspirational people and customized my very own morning ritual. When I wake up I need a whole hour of peace, silence and meditation before I’m ready to interact. The ritual consists of 7 small steps, that have a big impact on my overall wellbeing. It is not the big decisions that change our life permanently, it is the small decisions we make every day. Changing these small decisions, one by one, towards our goal, we will find ourself in a better place after some time. It may sound like a lot at first but it takes only 45min and sets the tone for the day. Very important throughout my routine: No Tech. No phone. I only open the laptop for the Yoga Flow.
So lets jump right into my morning:
1. Cleaning my Tongue. I use an ayurvedic tongue cleaner and it is literally the first thing I do after waking up because during sleeping hours our body detoxes and pollutants are deposited on the tongue and in the oral cavity. If you drink a coffee first thing in the morning, you will take everything back in.
2. Oil pulling. After brushing my tongue, I pull oil for 10-15 min. Meanwhile, I prepare my detox shakes, take out the supplements, make my bed, there’s always something to do, but don’t forget to move the oil in your mouth. 🙂
3. Water & Detox Shakes. One of the best ways to stop feeling foggy in the morning and generate energy, is to drink enough water. I drink 3- 4 glasses of lukewarm water with the following ingredients:
a) Glass of water with Psyllium husk and healing earth to activate my intestine activities
b) Glass of water with lemon juice, unfiltered cider vinegar, turmeric and cinnamon to help my body create a basic milieu and strenghten my immune system
b) Glass of water to protect the teeth from the lemon juice / you can also drink b) with a straw but I prefer it this way
c ) Glass of water with supplements: Vitamin D3 + K2, Omega 3, Antioxidants,
d ) Glass of water with nettles capsules, barley grass juice or a probiotic, this step is optional I don’t do it everyday
4. Move. We wake up in the morning because our brain releases the stress hormone cortisol. That means in the morning we actually have stress in our blood and if we reduce this level directly, we will be more relaxed and above all, more stress-resistant throughout the day. That’s why I always do a sports session in the morning.
I either do this 8 minute HIIT work out by Kathi Honig:
On some days my body asks for a gentler program: I dedicate myself to this yoga flow by Mady Morrison:
5. Meditation. When I have time I meditate. I am just there. Existing, breathing, practicing mindfulness; I watch my train of thoughts, and it is the best feedback I can get about myself, my thoughts, my wants, my needs and what is going on with my life. If I don’t have time to meditate, I still practice gratitude, say a little prayer. Appreciate the new day and be grateful that I actually woke up.
6. Shower & Brush. After sport and meditation I jump under the warm shower and brush my entire body with a wooden brush. Very important here: brush in the direction of the lymph. This also helps the body detoxify.
7. Cold shower. The last step of my morning routine is the cold shower. Brrrr. This challenge always takes something of an effort. I see it as the first one of the many small challenges that I encounter during the day. If I check the box here, I don’t want to interrupt my flow throughout the day. When I leave the shower I smile at myself in the mirror. 🙂
I hope you can take something out of it! If you have any questions, please write them in the comments. 🙂
photos by Shetty Karthik